Seeing Scotland #1 - Inveraray


This May I had the pleasure of spending two days in the quaint Scottish town of Inveraray. During this time I visited a number of the nearby shops and restaurants and I was so blown away by some that I had to list my favourites here for you. This post will detail my top 6 must-sees in Inveraray, with plenty of pictures, and there’s even a bonus at the end for you! Plus, all of the listed must-sees are dog friendly, so you can go on holiday with your furry friends and treat them to a day out too – no member of the family need be left behind! I’ll start by showing you the incredible view as you approach along the coast towards the town:



Inveraray is on the West Coast of Scotland, in Argyll. I visited on a bank holiday weekend and, although busy, we managed to get parked on the main street of the town both days. All of the must-sees are on the main street and the bonus attraction isn’t far. I imagine it gets busier again during the summer, but all of the holiday lets and caravan parks aren’t too far either and there are bus links in the area. Now let’s get started!




A poignant piece of Scottish history, Inveraray Jail is an educational trip that is also fun for all the family. Children under 5, dogs, and wheelchair users are admitted free of charge, and others at a low cost. Unfortunately, wheelchair users can only access the ground floor due to the old steps that wind through the jail. There is disabled parking and a small car park, as well as plenty of on-street parking as well. Once inside the jail you will get to see various exhibits, including a courtroom and both old and new jails. And, of course, there is also a gift shop for any souvenirs.




I came across this little shop on the main street and, although from the outside it doesn’t look like much, when I stepped inside I was blown away. The shop was filled with beautiful ornaments, stones, and dream catchers. If you are looking for a unique souvenir or gift then this is the place to go! I bought this beautiful little dream catcher, but I wanted to leave with everything:






This place is the star of Inveraray – I didn’t stay in the hotel but the restaurant was so good that I visited it both days and would definitely consider staying in the hotel next time I visit. At the 2018 Scottish Hotel Awards they won 4 of the top awards for their categories – Best Town Hotel, Best Bar Dining Hotel, Best Head Chef, and Best Head Sous-chef – and when you visit the hotel it really shows. The hotel has been owned by the Clark family for seven generations since 1860 and every generation has upheld the beautiful building to the highest standard. The food was absolutely incredible; everything was cooked to perfection, the seafood was so incredibly fresh, and their drinks list was unbelievably extensive (although the cocktail I tried – Raspberry Royale – was so good that I had to get it both days). All of the staff were helpful, polite, and very welcoming. I dined in both the restaurant area and the beer garden, and both are well-kept, calming, and utterly beautiful. I cannot recommend this establishment highly enough. If you are in Inveraray you must visit here!

(Left to Right, Top to Bottom) Cookies and Cream Cheesecake, Mussels, Steak Pie, Salmon Brioche Roll, Cocktails, Sticky Toffee Pudding, Scallops and Risotto, Creme Brulee, Seafood Selection






This shop looks very unassuming from the front, but I cannot deny that it has an incredible selection of sweet treats and some of the best ice-cream that I’ve tasted! It’s definitely worth a visit if you’re walking along the pier or looking for a quick sugar fix between sight-seeing.






I know that when I visited here it was no where near the Christmas season but, as Christmas is my favourite time of year, I thought I better take a look – and I was not disappointed. Aromas of cinnamon and mulled wine fill the shop, and everything was so beautiful that it felt like I had been transported to the North Pole. The shop was small and cosy, and the owner greeted you at the front when you entered, making the whole place very welcoming. All of the decorations were delicate and ornate looking, with glitter and beautiful colours sprinkled around the room. There were Scottish souvenirs, traditional decorations, and more quirky items. I will definitely be taking a trip back to Inveraray closer to Christmas especially to visit this shop.




Driving into Inveraray, I spotted this little shop on the main street and decided immediately that it would be the first place I visited. I love baking and chocolates, so couldn’t wait to see what they had inside. I was in wonder as soon as I entered. The shop was filled with jars and baskets of luxury chocolates, but the thing that caught my eye was the display cabinet lined with a beautiful selection of truffles and individual chocolates.



I had a difficult time narrowing down my selection but, in the end, I left with a bespoke box of 6 individual chocolates and a chocolate dog that looked just like my border collie, and my friend left with amaretto toffees and rum truffles. Everything was absolutely delicious – whether you are a master chocolatier or just a regular chocolate lover like myself, this is definitely somewhere you need to check out!

Flavours (Left to Right, Top to Bottom) - Strawberry, Salted Caramel, Chocolate, Tiramisu, Creme Brulee, Sicilian Lemon



Photo taken from Inveraray Castle website


Unfortunately I didn’t get the chance to visit the castle as dogs are not permitted (except guide dogs), but I definitely intend to go back and see it. From the exterior the building is breath-taking, and I can imagine that the interior is just as amazing. There are various section of the castle to visit, from the gardens to the private apartment tours, and of course there is a souvenir shop for beautiful Scottish gifts and a lovely tearoom for a coffee break or light lunch. There is also venue hire, if you are holding a special event such as a wedding and you may also like to know that it was the chosen location for the filming of the 2012 Christmas special of Downton Abbey! If you have the time, this is definitely worth a visit.



After an incredible two days visiting Inveraray, I will definitely be returning. I was not disappointed by a single place that I went to, and there is still more of this stunning town to see.

Have you been to any of these places, or do you have any other suggestions for sights in Inveraray? Let me know in the comments!

Comments

Popular Posts

What Shocked Me When I Visited Africa